Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Music in ads

I’m a die-hard Tivo loyalist. I’ve been spoiled by commercial-free television and can’t imagine primetime without a fast-forward button. Still, as much as I hate to admit it, commercials have some redeeming qualities. They can be mildly funny, present a new useful product, and sometimes feature some pretty good music. Once in a while I see an ad that ends up introducing me to a new favorite artist. I can think of two off the top of my head, and they’re posted below. I’m going to be watching a lot of ads these next few weeks during March Madness, so I’m hoping this will be a recurring feature that shows up again soon.




Liberty Mutual (Hem – Half Acre)



I saw this ad in September and six months later Hem is my 3rd most listened to artist. We got to see them play at World CafĂ© in October and it was one of the best concerts I’ve been too. Here’s one song from each of their first three albums.

Hem – Half Acre
Hem – The Pills Stopped Working
Hem – Pacific Street

Buy Hem albums here




Volkswagen (Nick Drake – Pink Moon)



I actually heard Nick Drake for the first time on the Garden State soundtrack, but this ad was responsible for a huge jump in CD sales. Drake died in 1974 of an apparent suicide and his music went basically unnoticed during his lifetime. All of Drake’s albums are worth listening to, and chances are that he was an inspiration to most of your favorite artists.

Nick Drake – Pink Moon
Nick Drake – Fruit Tree
Nick Drake – Way to Blue
Nick Drake – Northern Sky

Buy Nick Drake albums here




Nike (Untitled)



This is just an amazing commercial with a cool song. I also included a fan edit with the original moves that inspired the ad.

Nike – MJ 2nd Generation


-Danny

No comments: