Monday, March 19, 2007

Shoot me now, I can die happy


The most recent movie featured in a long string of pre-release screenings here at school, Shooter, with Mark Wahlburg, is not only a fantastic political action thriller, but also a personal musical pleasure. As the opening credits passed over a burning Ethiopian village, my heart skipped a beat as the words “Levon” and “Helm” appeared on screen. I had heard of Levon’s acting career (including The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada), but had never actually seen him act. I completely flipped a wig when I saw his craggy old mug on screen. He was hilarious: a zonked out oracle, singing mystical artillery wisdom in his iconic gravel-tongued voice… and reading palms. Nothing gets better.

Listen up and pay respects:

The Band – Caves of Jericho
The Band – Key to the Highway


- Benjy

No comments: