Monday, March 19, 2007

My Favorite Artists (part 1 of 5): Braddigan


Yesterday morning I woke up to the following Facebook message:

From: Bonnie Eisner
To: Danny
Subject: Braddigan in Philly
Message: www.worldcafelive.com (click on april 19)
www.xpn.org/moc/phl
www.braddigan.com (click on Tours and April 19)

There were a few remarkable things about the message. First of all, I was notified of it by email. It always annoyed me that Facebook didn’t send out emails about private messages, and I was happy to see the apparently new feature in action. Second of all, I have no idea who Bonnie Eisner is. The only information on her profile is that she is “UPenn Staff” and that her birthday is February 17, 1953. Third and most importantly, it let me know that Braddigan is coming back to Philly to headline a benefit concert in April. I’d place this information at around #7 on the “best things to wake up to” list, right behind having breakfast in bed served by Hayden Panettiere, and a few spots ahead of being serenaded by Yanik. Needless to say, I immediately bought tickets.

Braddigan is the solo effort of former Dispatch lead singer Brad Corrigan. You can definitely hear some Dispatch influence in his music, but it has a much more laid-back, acoustic vibe. His songs are impressively diverse, especially considering he’s only released one studio album. In his live stuff the bongos are some of the best I’ve heard, and are a constant reminder of what Panama and the Canals could have been.

“Whirlwind” is a Dispatch cover and the other four tracks are his, posted in the order that they were my favorite songs.

Braddigan – Whirlwind
Braddigan – Sailin’
Braddigan – City on a Hill
Braddigan – Pura Vida
Braddigan – Fare Thee Well (live)

Buy his album here. Almost everything Braddigan sells and does is for a good cause.

-danny

No comments: