Sunday, May 20, 2007

Good Fortune Cookie

"Summer was gone and the heat died down/
And autumn reached for her golden crown/
I looked behind as I heard a sigh/But this was the time of no reply"

Last night I got a great fortune:

Time is nature’s way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

I don’t know if it’s the fact that it actually makes grammatical and contextual sense, that my favorite number (22) was one of the 6 “lucky” ones listed below it, or that it closely resembles one of my favorite quotes of all time (“People are DNA’s way of making more DNA.” – E. O. Wilson), but the Chinese guy who wrote this really hit close to home. Close enough, in fact, that I’m writing a whole post about his idea.

Here are some timeless time-related songs:

Alexi Murdoch – Time (live outro to “Shine”)
Semisonic – Closing Time
Dr. John – Right Place, Wrong Time
Old Crow Medicine Show – Big Time In The Jungle
Donavon Frankenreiter – Every Time
Lee Moses – Time And Place
Jim Croce – Time In A Bottle
Nick Drake – Time Of No Reply
Ollabelle – Before This Time

Edit: I did some research after writing the post and it turns out that I gave China too much credit. The fortune was actually written by none other than Woody Allen, which explains a lot. I have to admit, I’m a little disappointed in the Big Red for selling out – aren’t they supposed to be the wise ones?

-danny

1 comment:

Christy said...

Very cool, it always amazes me how many songs you can find that fit the same theme.